Sunday, May 20, 2012

Flaming Wombat


A few years ago, my sister went on a cruise, where she played a lot of Bingo. One of here prizes was a Princess Cruises embroidery kit, which she gave to me. I like to keep my hands busy, and this was a fairly portable project, so I figured I'd stitch it. It had flowers and some lettering that read "Princess Cruises". I liked the flowers, but figured I could come up with some more interesting, less corporate lettering. 


"Flaming Wombat" seemed appropriate. I'm convinced that at the time I started sewing this, I had a friend who was in or had been in a contradance band with the name "Flaming Wombat", but she denies ever having been in a band with that name, and no one else remembers. At any rate, I think the phrase "Flaming Wombat" is far too clever for me to have thought of it on my own.

Recently, I've become interested in embroidery and also the idea that mending is "making something more beautiful". So, when I found a small hole in my shirt, I put a patch on it and embroidered it with a blackwork flower. That's when I found out that my system of keeping bits of embroidery floss in a box with a bunch of odds and ends resulted in a big, tangled mess (go figure). So, I added a lining to my newly embroidered pouch, complete with pockets and a scrap of felt for storing needles. Now, I have a little embroidery kit. Honestly, with all the colors and possibilities, it feels like a new box of Crayola crayons.


No comments: